Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Albanian Consumer

One of the interesting things about Tirana is the number of high-end fashion and housewares shops. There are dozens in my neighborhood, and they all have tasteful and ever-changing window displays. I'm not much of a fashionista, but even I recognize many of the designers' names. There are also many perfume and fancy make-up shops filled with expensive potions imported from Italy, France and beyond. Truthfully, the shopping here is orders of magnitude more cosmopolitan than in Anchorage. But as I follow my daily route from home to the park (for my run), from home to office, then office to store, and to gym, and home again I wonder - who buys this stuff? I seldom see anyone go inside these places. To me, they seem so chic and sterile.

But there's another kind of retail here that I find much more interesting. I don't know how to describe it - it's kind of like copyright infringement but with a twist. I think these pictures will give you the idea.

Fast food the American way

It's actually a bar...




















This one's a little more subtle. The business is called "AFC" which stands for "Albanian Fried Chicken." The motto is "Albania's Best Chicken."

Not sure why the menu doesn't include fried chicken...


And for all you military buffs out there:

No comments: